04 December 2005

The Day After Yesterday!

Well, it's back to reality. I guess being left alone with the realm of my mind is not the best thing in the world. I have to admit it was a well deserved break, but a couple will need to follow to put me back on my quest for fulfillment. A mouth full, yeah I know.

I decided to follow the route of the adventurer and take the trip via the Ferry, but it will definately be the last trip on the Ferry. Next time my dear friend, it will by air. Actually time, value and the patience ratio, by air will definately be the way out. At least I can say I have done the experiance and I got the T-shirt....just an add on on my adventure list. To be quite honest, I definately expected more from Zanzibar. But I also have to admit that staying in Mauritius, did in fact spoil me to such an extent that I can only think that there could only be a very small margin ever for satisfaction after the life of Mauritius. To sum Zanzibar up in only a few sentances......

It's very African....Dirty, poor and no infra structure. The roads are definately better than in Dar Es Salaam, but the same driving mentallity. Stone Town, small and flooded by locals that terrorises the visitors to make a quick buck and maybe take full advantage of the opportunity of the narrow passages. I was warned ahead of time to rather walk alone and make it clear to the "beach boys" that less than a referred guide will be unexceptable. So.....Not a good experiance at all. The good thing about Stone Town is that you can see and feel the history in the city, but I guess it could not be comparred to cities like Rome. Another interresting fact that came to ear was that the lead singer of Queen, Freddie Mercury was born in Zanzibar. After seeing the locals and the picture up in a restaurant that was named after him (Mercury's on the bay), he actually did look like a bit of ARABIC. A gay one I might add!

The most of my time I spent at the local bar at the hotel (motel if I can call that). The bar carried the hospitality of South African influence. All the waiters wore rugby jersey's based on the SPRINGBOK (SA Rugby) jersey, but with the difference of the main sponsor "ZANZIBAR" and the clothing manufacturer "ONE WAY".....The alcohol was there, DART board and a pool table. On Saturday night I met up with a South African couple that did a tour of 1 month through Tanzania (from Arusha, Serengeti, Kilimanjaro and ended up in Zanzibar). We did enjoy the evening in real South African spirit....Drinking, talking Shit, playing pool for 8 hours long and a lot of infirmation exchanges about careers and just almost about everything possible. Just Plain Good Old South African Fun......

Returned Sunday afternoon, with a little patience and not too much of energy. I'm glad that I did do the tour, but my next stop will be Pemba Island. I heard that this is the best preserved diving spot in the world from various sources.....So, Pemba here I come.

PS: Check out my photoblog......I'm quite impressed with my undevelloped talent.....

3 Comments:

At 5:34 pm, Blogger Nachi said...

well i have to admit, i really liked the pics from your trip to Zanzibar. especially the B&W snaps of stone town...
and yeah, your photography skills are certainly better than your spelling!! (ouch, that was a low blow) he he he... later bru. and yeah, thanks for putting up those awesome pics on the net. it sure is a nice thing to share with everyone.


ps:hey, this time the word verification came up xlueago...nice ;)

 
At 5:34 pm, Blogger Nachi said...

well i have to admit, i really liked the pics from your trip to Zanzibar. especially the B&W snaps of stone town...
and yeah, your photography skills are certainly better than your spelling!! (ouch, that was a low blow) he he he... later bru. and yeah, thanks for putting up those awesome pics on the net. it sure is a nice thing to share with everyone.

 
At 6:50 pm, Blogger Jess said...

Hmmm I thought that you would like Zanzibar. I had always heard a lot of good things about it. Miss you!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home